Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Allstar Weekend Part 2

Allstar Weekend Was Really Bad in fact...

The Jet Soars!

Believe it or not, the Haier Skills Challenge is one of my favorite events, especially from this year's Allstar Weekend. Unlike the three point shoot out, dunk contest and HORSE game, there is a continual flow of sustainable action which is a nice break from the constant stopping and starting in other events. But more than that, it is straight up fun to see the old guys get out there. That's right Kenny Smith, in NBA years you are old now. I really appreciated Webber missing 5 straight mid-range jumpers. This is the Chris Webber I know and love. Webber's biggest problem is that his memory of his own career is drastically different than how other people remember it. I remember reading an article on ESPN or some blog that just creamed Webber for saying how some young player needed to play more like him when the game was in crunch time. I saw it. I couldn't believe that he kept a straight face. I really couldn't believe that none of his co-anchors kept a straight face. Needless to say those 5 missed shots were great validation for many out there.

Brent Barry showed that he is the better of the two brothers. He is not only the one who got blessed with superior skill, but also basic human things like facial expressions and hair.

Kenny surprised me by shooting his half court shots off two planted feet instead of the runner that everyone else did. But he came through and hit it so I really can't knock on him. Not that I want to, I like Kenny. Kenny would make a great politician. Kenny does not flip flop or waiver, every statement that comes out of his mouth is a cold hard lock, and he says it like he means it. (He is also REALLY, scary good, at pointing out when other people flip flop.)


A Horse, a Horse, My Kingdom for a Horse

The HORSE game was ATROCIOUS. It is consistently the worst event every year, but not by design but rather by execution. The HORSE competition is so bad they have to have Kenny, Barkley and Webber basically riffing the whole time on whatever they could come up with to keep viewers from passing out. The pace is to slow, but what's even worse is its boring. I lost a lot of respect for Durant because he is the most boring HORSE player I have ever seen. Half of the shots were just three point shots from various spots around the arc. Listen, you are here to entertain. You are here to display that some of your personality. (If you saw the filmed segment at his house you know he doesn't really have one.) Rondo on the other hand showed me a lot. Not only did he knock down some his fair share of threes in the "TNT's first of many screw-ups in this whole broadcasting thing" shootout to end the competition, but Rondo showed a little character, showed his gym rat side, with some of shots he tried. I particularly like the off the shot clock attempt. Given his shooting from the top of the arc, and how many he hit, I wonder if A. it is a more mental problem with his outside shooting, or B. that he is a much better set shooter than jump shooter and should switch his in game shot because know one is close enough to block it anyway.

Other notes, Casspi was horrible and I felt bad for him, especially with Charles as his coach. Next years how about bigger personalities and no rookies. I will tell you what, if there is mandatory trash talk between the contestants I am so tuning in. Then you get those added elements of mental toughness, comedy, and you get to see who really has some swag. I want Pierce in there because you know he can talk trash, and I want LeBron because he has the personality. I would also take Baron, Nate Robinson, Arenas and of course Hash Weed (Rasheed Wallace).

The aforementioned shootout at the end was horrible, the pace was too slow. I am convinced that if it kept going Rondo would have won with some real crafty stuff, I mean he is the point guard of the group.

Paul Pierce Winning the 3-Point Contest is Some Real X-Files S***

Paul Pierce (The Truth) has no business winning the 3-point contest. He has proven that he can hit some big shots when it matters, but he is not a three point shooter. I am gonna leave you with one stat. Three of the top ten three point shooters by percentage were in the contest. Big names were chosen over good shooters. Anthony Morrow, last years league leader in 3-point percentage was not invited AGAIN. Curry is a better 3-point shooter than Pierce, just not on that second round. All I am saying is if there were a few more real shooters in the field, one of them would have beaten Pierce's anomaly of a second round. I have decided for the good of mankind, Pierce can NEVER win ANYTHING ever again. After he won the 2008 Finals MVP he came out and said he was the best player, and that "the ball doesn't lie." Listen, you are not the best player in the NBA and I don't want to hear that garbage. Now that he has won the 3-point contest he has proclaimed that he's now the best shooter in the NBA. How about no. Pierce can't win anything ever again simply because I might stab my own ears if I have to hear him stroke his ego again. Pierce speaks everything but the truth. (I love how Barkley called out Pierce saying he wasn't even in the top 10 on the list of the best Celtics of all time, talk about a lack of respect from your peers).

"You can't Handle the Truth!

Are You Not Entertained?

The dunk contest is just like the movie Gladiator, which is one of the best TV movies of all time. Anytime that, any of the Die Hard's (except number 2) or the 5th Element is on I will watch it. You must win the crowd, that is obvious. But the Allstar weekend is about entertainment primarily, while the rest of the season is about the game primarily, the entertainment aspect is a byproduct of the game. Everyone seemed to miss this point, except for Nate Robinson. Nates problem was he couldn't really think of anything new, but he had the showmanship part down. I can't believe I am writing this, but those Dallas cheerleaders are exactly what the Dunk Contest is about. Everyone in that dunk contest, other than my man Nate, is not someone I want to hang out with. They were quiet, sheepish, had no, well, swagger. I want someone who has a personality, or at least come across as a man during an interview. Gerald Wallace's interview was painful. Just painful. DeRozan's was worse. Give me a competitor like Kobe or Jordan. Give me a showman like LeBron, Nate or Dwight. At least give me someone who understands the concept of the dunk contest.

Speaking of Die Hard and the 5th Element, TNT showed the preview for Cop Out so many times that I think Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan got more face time than 80% of the participants at Allstar Weekend. In other news I will be going to see Cop Out with my old man on February 26 when it comes out.

Barkley was on his A game in terms of quotes, that's all I got to say. Alright, that's all folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be civil. Disagreements, opinions and alternate viewpoints are fine and encouraged; personal attacks and flaming are not.