The Allstar game is long past so I am going to keep this one short. The game was boring by Allstar game standards. I know Kobe likes it when guys want to win and play some defense, but if this weekend is for the fans like every player interview said, there needed to be more dunks, more flare. My only note about the game was that Deron Williams had a great first three quarters, really put on a show, I was happy to see that. While Deron Williams made some mistakes in the 4th, Billups took over and showed he is still Mr. Bigshot. I thought his performance in the 4th was the best of the night.
Alright, winners and losers time.
Losers
TNT: Way to botch the HORSE game completely. The ending was atrocious. Their were also some horrible problems with the broadcast. Commercial spots were botched left and right, and there were numerous mic problems.
LeBron James: LeBron had a good Allstar Weekend, but he is the King and the new face of the NBA, so to be a winner he needed a great Allstar Weekend. Fair? No, but that's just how it is. He lost the Allstar Game MVP to fellow Eastern Conference player Dwayne Wade, but more importantly he sat out the Dunk contest despite being the one player everyone wanted to see. Instead LeBron left us to watch the worst Dunk Contest ever.
Chris Webber: Awful performance in the Haier Challenge reminding us how he always came up short.
The Fans: A boring HORSE game, an abysmal dunk contest and no Kobe.
Winners
Stephon Curry: Got a chance to be on the national stage because everybody knows the Warriors are almost never on national TV. Had a great first round in the three point shoot out and eventually came in second.
DeJuan Blair: A role player on a boring team, and a big man in a guard oriented game, these are the factors that work against Blair getting attention throughout the season and during the weekend. He overcame both the be the crowd favorite. I heard that he said in the locker room, "I am the only big so I am gonna get all the boards." OK, so despite the quotes that is paraphrased, but he did deliver on his word. I also love that he was born with no ACL's, makes the best little tidbit that announcers will give you for his whole career.
Charles Barkley: Hilarious. Quotes so big they were off the Richter Scale.
And finally, the commercials.
Worst Commercial: All of the Luke Wilson AT&T commercials.
Luke looks like he ate Owen to try and steal his power. Remember in the first Men In Black when the Bug kills that farmer Edgar (Vincent Donofrio) and wears his skin like a suit, an "Edgar Suit." Well it looks like someone is wearing a "Luke Wilson Suit."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQR67HXVt14
Best Commerical. 3 way tie between Old Spice Men's Body Wash, Dante's Inferno video game, and Cop Out previews.
Old Spice has been making great ads for a couple years now, starting with their Bruce Campbell in the Armchair ad. This is a continuation of their great streak of commercials.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZOm2YhOI4c
I don't care about the game Dante's Inferno, but I absolutely love the song Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone and I find it hilarious that it is juxtaposed to such ridiculous and images that are polar opposites to the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rbeAGdYk_0
I love the preview because it sets you up with the grand music, the references to Training Day and The Departed, and then coming in with Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan. But it really wins because they nailed the demographic and showed it some many times at least half of the people who watched the Allstar Game are now going to see the film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3arJ0nQyMc
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please be civil. Disagreements, opinions and alternate viewpoints are fine and encouraged; personal attacks and flaming are not.